Whole body spectrometer BodySPEC-C
The spectrometer BodySPEC-C (chair-type) or Whole Body Counter (WBC) is intended for studying the energy distribution of gamma radiation, identify gamma-emitting radionuclides and also for measuring the activity of gamma-emitting radionuclides incorporated in the whole body, lungs and thyroid gland of a man.
Spectrometer is a stationary laboratory measuring instrument, which also can be placed in a special vehicle of a transportable laboratory.
The operation principle of spectrometers is based on the registration of gamma-quanta emitted by radionuclides contained in the human’s body by an appropriate type of detector, which outputs an electrical impulse with amplitude, which is proportional to the energy of the detected gamma-quantum.
The spectrometer BodySPEC-C is calibrated by whole body phantoms (universal or anthropomorphic) or using by software MCC-MT (Monte-Carlo simulation).
- multichannel analyzer BINOM (or Polynom or MCA-527);
- scintillation gamma-ray detectors based on crystal NaI(Tl) for measuring a body: BDEG-76-76 (2 pcs.) or BDEG-150-100 (1 pcs.);
- scintillation gamma-ray detectors based on crystal LaBr3(Ce) for measuring a body: BDEG-76-76-LB or BDEG-63-63-LB (2 pcs.);
- detector based on HPGe : DH-20, DH-30 and etc.
- scintillation gamma-ray detectors based on crystal NaI(Tl) for measuring thyroid gland: BDEG-25-25(1 pcs.);
- collimator and holder;
- vertical pillar;
- power supply adapter;
- protective lead shield;
- software for spectrometric analysis ASW2;
The energy range of measuring distribution of gamma radiation : 50 to 3000 keV.
The relative energy resolution of the spectrometer with detectors BDEG-63-63 and BDEG-76-76 for the line 661.7 keV of radionuclide Cs-137 does not exceed 8 and 9%, respectively.
The integral nonlinearity of the spectrometer with gamma detectors is ±1.0% in the energy range of 50 to 3000 keV.
The detection efficiency of the detector BDEG-63-63 is not less than 1.2% in the full-energy peak 661.7 keV of radionuclide Cs-137 at 50 mm from the upper surface of the detector.
The detection efficiency of the detector BDEG-76-76 is no less than 2% in the full-energy peak 661.7 keV of radionuclide Cs-137 at 50 mm from the upper surface of the detector.
The detection efficiency of the detector BDEG-150-100 is no less than 7.5% in the full-energy peak 661.7 keV of radionuclide Cs-137 at 50 mm from the upper surface of the detector.
The measurement ranges of activity of incorporated radionuclides with the external gamma background with ambient dose rate of no more than 0.2 µSv/h :
- Cs-137 in body : from 330 to 15 MBq;
- Co-60 in lungs : from 50 to 9 MBq;
- I-131 in thyroid gland : from 40 to 45 MBq.
The expanded uncertainty for the activities measurement is no more than 30% (k=2).
The minimum detectable activity (MDA) for 1 hour measurement time:
- Cs-137 in body : 200 Bq;
- Co-60 in lungs : 25 Bq;
- I-131 in thyroid gland : 20 Bq.